Monday, December 28, 2015

DOES YOUR LIFE SITUATION MAKE YOU FEEL DISTANT FROM GOD?

I work offshore in the Gulf of Mexico for a company called Otto Candies. I work 28 days (12 hour shifts each day) and then am off 28 days. My schedule makes it challenging to stay focused and grow in my relationship with God (especially when I'm at work). I feel like I am often spiritually bogged down and just can't get traction. And I feel even worse about my relationship with God when I have been sinning or when I am personally making bad choices. 

Most of us feel this way at some point in our lives. But I have learned that when we go through discouraging or confusing times we can learn to have a better mindset. 

Our relationships with God, in his eyes, are not based on how we feel emotionally or even about how we think about him. He is not concerned about us earning a relationship with him. In fact, it is a hindrance and dangerous when we feel like we have earned his love. God's love was his choice and is the same when we are at our worst as it is when we are at our best. God's goodness does not change because of our actions or performance. He is ALWAYS supremely good and his love is the ultimate example of the love of a father. 

It is a trap to constantly gauge your relationship with God on your actions and whether you have earned his love or not. Your mindset is crucial when it comes to your relationship with God. In fact, the safest place you can be is to realize it was he who invited you to know him; it was him who first loved you; he was the one who purchased you with the blood of Jesus (even when you were at your absolute worst). 

I know I am right where I need to be in my daily walk with the Lord when I take a step back and recognize he is truly Almighty, my Almighty, and my strength. Even when I am at my worst, I take strength from knowing he does not base his feelings, thoughts, or love towards me on my actions. But instead on his choice to pursue and love me freely.

Imagine how free we would all be if we all realized that when we are human and at our worst he is always beside us whispering for us to accept his love.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
If you like this blog post, do me a favor and share it by pressing the icon button for Facebook, twitter, Pinterest, Google +, or Linked-in. 

JLN
Image courtesy of suwatpo at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment