Monday, March 7, 2016

WHY WHAT YOU SAY MATTERS MORE THAN YOU THINK

Many of my regrets in life have not been what I didn't say, but what I did say (this is especially true within my marriage). I work on a ship offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. The expression "cuss like a sailor" is pretty accurate; sailors tend to say a lot of bad things. I have often been guilty of not being encouraging, uplifting, or edifying in my speech towards and around others.

However, I have also found that when I am able to control how I talk, it is one of the most effective ways for me to be a light for Christ. There have been many occasions when someone has noticed that I don't cuss or put others down and asked me why. I always take advantage of this and use it as an opportunity to share about my personal relationship with the Lord. It's amazing how receptive people are concerning Christ when they are the ones asking you about your faith instead of vice versa. But it is still a struggle for me. 

We all struggle with how we speak in one form or another. We may or may not use any number of four letter words but almost all of us are guilty of gossiping, putting others down, and sometimes taking a joke too far.  

The Bible has some words of wisdom on this topic. Proverbs 18:21 says, "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." Proverbs 15:4 says, "A soothing tongue is a tree of life, but a perverse tongue crushes the spirit." And Proverbs 12:28 says, "The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."

Do you use your words recklessly? Do your words tend to pierce and crush others spirits or do they bring life and healing? Consider what comes out of your mouth and take action to ensure it is life giving. It is your responsibility as a Christian to be the thermostat within conversations instead of the thermometer. If you notice a conversation at work taking a turn for the worst then steer it back to a positive place. If that doesn't work, walk away and don't take part in a conversation that is negative, judgmental, or that tears others down.

Can you imagine what changes would take place in your life if you were able to change the way you speak? What would others around you think? What would your spouse, kids, and coworkers think? And most importantly, what would God think? 

JLN

To ensure you don't miss future posts, subscribe by entering your email address into the block labeled "follow by email" on the top right hand side of this page.    

Image courtesy of stockimages at FreeDigitalPhotos.net  

No comments:

Post a Comment