Friday, March 25, 2016

COULD YOUR DIET BE A WAY TO MINISTER AT WORK? MINE WAS

Recently I have felt like God has been challenging me to be a better servant leader but am not always sure how to actually be one. I have one person who works under me as my assistant. This week I had one opportunity to serve her in a unique way. I found out that she was trying to get into "clean eating," something I have been doing for years. I sent her a couple recipes and encouraged her in her efforts. While this didn't really relate to our job, it was one small way to improve our relationship and gave me a chance to serve her in a way that was meaningful to her.

Some of us are not in charge of anyone and some of us oversee many people. Either way, as Christians we are called to serve those around us. The problem is that sometimes we get distracted by other tasks or our own selfishness and fail to pray or even think about how to serve those around us at work. The truth is we often act as if this Bible stuff only applies to spiritual things and we find it difficult to apply it in our real day to day lives. Or we think that we have to do something "super spiritual" like evangelize or invite someone to church in order to honor God at work.

Fortunately, Jesus himself has something to say about serving people in a very real "non spiritual" way. John 13:12-15 says, "When he [Jesus] had finished washing their [his followers] feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. 'Do you understand what I have done for you?' he asked them. 'You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you." "Washing feet" was something a servant would do to meet a practical need. Yet, Jesus actually did this for his followers and told them to follow his example. Followers of Christ are not only to do the spiritual things (like praying, church, etc) but also work to meet the practical, real, mundane, and unattractive needs of those around them.

Have you thought about how you might be able to serve those around you at work? Have you prayed about it and asked God to use you to serve the people around you, even in "non spiritual" ways? This is part of your calling as a Christian.

How would it look if you did one thing this week to serve someone at your workplace in a way that they might consider beneath you or in a very ordinary practical way?

Written By: Ricky C, March 28, 2016

To ensure you don't miss future posts, subscribe by entering your email address into the block labeled "follow by email" on the top right hand side of this page.    

Image courtesy of Witthaya Phonsawat at FreeDigitalPhotos.net  

No comments:

Post a Comment