Monday, February 8, 2016

SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT MY POSSIBLE CAREER FAILURE?

Last week I spoke with my job placement officer about my career progression and potential for future advancement. He told me that the numbers are not looking good for me to be selected for my next career milestone (Department Head) when the board meets in April. Until then, I'm taking a hard look at all my options and trying to figure out what to do. 

If you had asked me how I felt about my job before I had that conversation with my job placement officer, I would have told you that I'm not worried about it and that God is in control. I felt confident in who I was as a person and thought that my identity was anchored in Christ and had little to do with my job in the Navy. 

However, when I realized that my career field might decide it doesn't need me any more, I started to feel a little differently. Don't get me wrong-I'm not super stressed out or having an anxiety attack or anything like that, but it did make me question if I truly trust the Lord with my life and future or not.  

We all have things happen in life from time to time that cause us to question God, have anxiety, and worry. It might be problems with a boss or coworker, loosing a job, sickness, death of a loved one, or any number of things. But the truth is, we all experience it at some point.  

When I feel this way I am encouraged and strengthened when I think about and practice the Bible verses that say:
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7  
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

If you are experiencing even the smallest amount of anxiety or worry, present your requests to God with thanksgiving. Don't just try it once and give up, make it a habit for how you deal with worry.  

If you practiced what these verses say and actually had more peace in life (even in the stressful times), how would you feel and in what ways would you act differently?

If you like this blog post, you can subscribe by entering your email address into the block labeled "follow by email" on the top right hand side of this page.    

Image courtesy of aopsan at FreeDigitalPhotos.net  

No comments:

Post a Comment