Tuesday, August 11, 2015

I got rejected-one reason I'm happy about it.


Recently, I was up for a new job (Operational Aviation Department Head in the Navy) and was surprised when I found out the selection board didn't pick me. I have done pretty well professionally, but still didn't make the cut. The Navy will give me one more shot at that job this coming year; if I
don't get selected for it, I will have to change career fields in order to stay professionally competitive in the Navy. 

Before the job results came out, I would have told you that if I didn't get picked it would be a clear indication to me that God had something else in mind. My hope and faith aren't in the Navy, but in Jesus Christ. While I still believe that is true, I was disappointed when I found out that I wasn't selected. It was more of a hit to my pride than anything else. The rejection helped me to
realize how uncertain my future is and that hope in anything other than God is misplaced.    

Most of us face disappointments at some point (or many points) in our careers; things never go completely how we think they should go and we may feel bitterness, resentment or anger toward God  or people because of it. But if we are willing to submit our concerns, hopes and futures to him, we will be able to face disappointments and uncertainty with peace and confidence. Proverbs 16:9 says that "In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps." It is our job to plan but sometimes God re-directs our path. My trust in him gives me confidence and peace concerning the path my life and career takes.

Have you ever experienced unforeseen career changes or challenges that made you angry or uncertain about your life or your faith? 

Were you able to find peace or was it more difficult for you? 

If you haven't yet faced something like this, you will; when that happens, do you think it will cause you to doubt God or strengthen your faith in him?

The biggest factors in having peace, even when everything is going wrong, comes down to knowing God's promises (reading and studying scripture),  praying (talking to him about the issue), and submitting (realizing and believing that his ways are better than mine, even if I don't understand them).
Image courtesy of imagerymajestic at FreeDigitalPhotos.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment