Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Most people make this retirement plan mistake early in their career.





Since I was a kid, I have always given a lot of thought to finance and investments.

I have usually thought of my career and finances from the perspective of how many years I have been working versus how long until I can retire.


I suppose that a lot of people are like me.

But a while back I saw a youtube video that made me think about my job and finances a little differently.

As Americans, we spend about two thirds of our lives planning and working to benefit the last third; most of us seem to think this is a pretty good idea.

But when I consider eternity from a Biblical perspective, I question if our conventional thinking is the best and wisest use of our time and efforts.  In the book of Matthew, Jesus gives us some retirement pointers:
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steel.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart is also.  Matthew 6:19-21
Perhaps we should change the way we view our careers.  Perhaps we should re-focus our efforts to prepare for an eternal retirement rather than just an earthly one.

Are you making any investments that will be around in eternity?

Please feel free to leave a comment telling us what they are.

Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment