Tuesday, September 8, 2015

AMERICAN WOMAN JAILED FOR HER FAITH-WHAT WOULD YOU DO?


Last week I was listening to one of the podcasts I subscribe to (The Briefing by Albert Mohler) and heard about Kim Davis, a County Clerk in Kentucky, who was recently jailed because she would not issue marriage licenses to homosexuals. Because of her faith and in obedience to God, she was unwilling to issue any licenses with her signature on them. And for that, a federal judge sent her to jail.

Whether you agree with this woman or not, it is significant that we are culturally in a place where an American can be sent sent to prison for matters relating to faith.


It got me thinking about my job in the Navy and made me wonder what I would do if I was put in a position where I had to choose between compromising my faith or going to prison. What would I do? 

I would be tempted to compromise in some little "innocent" way and avoid scrutiny. 

God would understand, right? 

Hopefully I would not give in to that temptation and instead would choose obedience to God over compromise.

Most of us are faced with decisions where we make little compromises all the time. We kind of get used to it and don't really see the harm. But it is habit forming and before we know it, we compromise in bigger things and may not even realize it. 


However, if we get in the habit of making the right choices when faced with temptations to make "little compromises" it will be easier to make the right choices when it comes to the bigger issues. 

If you have faced or are facing a situation where you have the choice to compromise or obey, think about what choice you would make if you truly trusted the Lord...and then make that choice.   

Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven. Matthew 10:32-33 
Sources:
The Wall Street Journal
The Briefing (A podcast by Albert Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Association. It is a "Daily worldview analysis about the leading news headlines and cultural conversations.")

Related posts:
Jesus.  Yes or No?
Gay is ok?


Image courtesy of Naypong at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment