Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Gay is ok?



Once homesexuals were allowed to be open about their sexual preference in the navy I found out that one of the females who worked under me was engaged to marry another female. As someone who believes that the Bible teaches that homosexuality is a sin, I thought about the topic a lot.

My workplace (an extension of the federal government) has officially ruled that homosexuality is allowed and requires that no one discriminate against people based on their sexual preferences. I determined that since I was required not to discriminate, I would strongly encourage homosexuals working under me who were getting married to get at least one session of marriage counseling the same way I strongly encouraged other couples to do. There are many options available for counseling in the navy such as chaplains and counselors. I explained this to her and she reacted a bit defensively, questioning my motives for the requirement. I explained that I required this of all marriages, and asked her if she wanted hers to start off with the best chances for success; I believed that getting counseling would help with that. 

I also hoped that if she went to one of the chaplains, she would hear some amount of truth. Any truth, any discussion about true love, is ultimately a reflection of the Lord. This is part of the reason I required other couples to get counseling as well. The other reason I required it is that the counseling resources are free to Sailors and would help lay a stronger foundation for their marriages; the practical truth is that good marriages are good for a strong navy.

My conversation with her was one small step towards establishing trust and pointing her toward the truth. Isn't that what we are supposed to be doing? Everything we do should point people toward truth, toward our Lord, regardless of where people are in their lives. Depending on the situation, we may be able to take more direct larger steps or we may have to slowly inch forward.

We as Christians have to figure out how to live and work with people who don't think or live the way God requires rather than sequester ourselves off in a corner where we have no exposure to worldly people. Our job as believers isn't to work to make gay people straight, but to work and pray that the Lord would make dead people live. We are called to be ambassadors of his kingdom, to be representatives of his love and grace. While I don't agree with the lifestyle, I will do everything I can to love people, no matter their sexual preference...I will not discriminate.      

Image courtesy of usamedeniz at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment