Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Jesus. Yes or No?



Recently I spent some time in a car ride with a friend I met through work. We hang out on a weekly basis and have gotten to know each other fairly well. Eventually, the conversation landed on religion. I really like it when I get to talk about this topic and am always trying to figure out the best way to
represent Christ. I usually start by trying to find out what the person's faith background is and try to understand their unique faith perspective. The better I know them and where they come from, the better I can relate to them and understand who they are.   

When I first started having spiritual conversations with people, it was very easy to get sidetracked with all sorts of spiritual and theological topics and ideas, but I have since changed my focus.  Frankly, my friends' salvation doesn't rest on the validity of creation versus evolution or any other hotly debated issue-so I simply don't let myself get in arguments about peripheral issues with non-believers. Their salvation can only be found in Christ. I try to focus on the one thing that really matters-the one absolutely critical question that we have to grapple with in order to be Christians: "Was Jesus a man with lots of hype wrapped around him or was he the son of God?" Put another way, "Did Jesus die on the cross and come back to life three days later or did he stay dead?" 

If he stayed dead, our whole faith is a sham and we are fools for believing it. But if he really did rise from the dead, we have to seriously consider the implications. Men don't come back to life after being dead for several days; it just doesn't happen; it isn't a thing. If he came back from death, something outside of nature, outside our world, must have been at play; something supernatural, something God like must have happened. 

Do you believe he rose from the dead or not? Yes or No? If so, are you living as if you believe it is true...are you living as if "Jesus is Lord?" These are the questions I try to get people to ask themselves...they are questions I have to ask myself. I'm always challenged by the answer and I hope you are as well.   
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. Romans 10:9-10
If you are looking for some reasources on this topic, I found the following helpful:
The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
Mere Christianity by CS Lewis
More than a Carpenter by Josh McDowell


Image courtesy of Ambro at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment