Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Is it ok to talk about religion at work?


When I started my first grown up job about a decade ago, I knew I wasn't supposed to "leave God behind" when I went to work, but I felt an unspoken social pressure to not do or say anything that would give anyone any hints that I might be a Christian. I'm not sure why, but I was terrified to talk
to anyone about Jesus.

Many of us feel this way and reference things like "separation of church and state," "not wanting to get fired," or not wanting to "force my views" on anyone else. We aren't exactly sure where the religious boundaries are, so we give in to a very real but undefined fear and basically hide our Christianity.  

But doing this just doesn't feel right to me. I keep thinking of the verse that says "You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven" Matthew 5:14-16.  If I'm serving God in everything I do, how can I hide it in social or work settings?


I decided to be true to who I am in Christ and live more authentically. If someone expresses a difficult family or emotional situation, I ask if I can pray for them. If there is an appropriate time for conversation (like a lunch break or travel time) I often ask co-workers about their family, hobbies, and faith background. I find that almost everyone has some sort of faith background and is more than happy to talk about it when I ask. I don't always talk about my faith, but I do try to get to know theirs. Once I have "broken the ice" on the religious topic, it is much easier to have future conversations about it. And by the way, none of my fears have ever come true.  


Are you willing to try it out and take one small step to "let your light shine?"

I want to encourage you to have one conversation this week with a "religious" aspect to it. Come back and write a comment letting us know how it went.  

Image courtesy of Ambro at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment