Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Can you see what God is doing?



I want to do my own thing my own way; I have been fighting selfishness my whole life but often succumb to it anyway. I even do this with spiritual things. I may be willing to lead a Bible study or prayer group, but I want to do it my way and don't feel like taking the time to ask God what he wants
to do and how he wants to do it. I would rather rely on my experience and just do what has worked for me in the past. Many of us are like that aren't we...we think we can handle things ourselves and too often don't take time to consult the Lord about it.

But if we want to be truly effective and truly in harmony with what God is doing, shouldn't we try to learn from Jesus and take the same approach he did? In John 5:19, Jesus says of himself, "the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does." If Jesus took the time to look around and see what God was doing before making ministry decisions, shouldn't we have the same attitude?  

Pause and look around right now...do you see God doing anything? Now, pray and ask him what he is doing, where he wants to work, how he wants to work, etc. Ask him to give you eyes to see and ears to hear. Go ahead...give it a try.  

When you sense he is moving in a particular situation or in someone's life, pray about it and then do something tangible to help move it froward.  

I like to imagine a lawnmower with God pushing it; I go stand behind the same lawnmower and push too because I want to be just like him.   

If we as the body of Christ would consistently take time to look and see where God is already at work, can you imagine how much more effective we would be for his kingdom?  

Image courtesy of suphakit73 at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment