Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Work is Not a Curse



People (including me) are always complaining about work.  

But when I read the Bible, I see that work was part of God's original plan for paradise in Eden.  God put Adam to work before Adam and Eve got thrown out of the garden and fell under the curse.  However, because of the curse, many workplaces have become unhealthy and perhaps even demoralizing; as Christians, God can use us to reverse the effects of the curse in the workplace.

We are created in the image of God.  And since it is in his nature to create, it is also in our nature.  In fact, I think work gives us a sense of purpose and is as necessary to our lives as relationships are.  Two institutions were set up in the Garden of Eden before the fall-marriage and work.  

When I am able to produce something, I get a deep sense of accomplishment from it.  There is reward in the struggle of it.  We are in a way, created to produce.  I have noticed that when I kick back and am lazy for too long, I tend to get a little depressed or feel a lack of purpose.  But the biblical way is more than just working for the sake of working, we are to do our work as an offering to the Lord.     

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Colossians 3:17

Working hard (not the bear minimum but the maximum) brings purpose and fulfillment.  I invite you to join me in asking God to help us not only view our jobs as good and rewarding (rather than as a necessary evil), but to also help us redeem our jobs as arenas to create, grow, build, thrive, and find joy and purpose in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment