Monday, April 11, 2016

DO YOU EFFECTIVELY LOVE AND INFLUENCE THE PEOPLE YOU WORK WITH?

I want to do more than just show up to work and collect a pay check. I want to be more than the status quo. I want the people around me to be more effective, feel more encouraged and happy, and ultimately be drawn closer to God as a result of my having been there. As such, I'm always trying to find better ways to connect with and influence the people I work and spend time with. Several weeks ago, I heard something that made me think about it from a different perspective. Instead of considering how I could best influence those around me, I thought "who are the people that have influenced me the most and why?" Perhaps I could identify what those people did or said that made such a difference for me and use it to try to make a difference in the lives of others.

For us Christians, we are called to be a reflection of Christ, not just at church, but at work, home, and anywhere else we go. We have heard this a lot but often struggle to live it out in our day to day lives. Our culture, busy schedules, and selfishness cause us to be focused on whatever is in front of us rather than on the people around us. And if we do have the time and awareness to try to love and influence the people around us we often struggle with how to do it effectively.

I'm hoping that what I heard several weeks ago is as helpful to you as it has been for me. I'm not sure where I heard it but it went something like this: "each of us wants to be the hero of our own story." That might sound silly at first but as I considered it I realized that the people who I appreciated spending time with and who made me feel loved the most have always been people who treated me like I mattered, like my life, opinions, and experiences were valuable and worth hearing about. They asked me about the obstacles I overcame or the insights I had from a given experience. In essence, they treated me as if I was the hero of my own story. This idea conforms to the Bible verse that says to humbly "value others above yourselves" Philippians 2:3. Because they took the time and effort to say things and ask questions that made me feel valued, I was much more willing to listen to and be influenced by their actions and words.

So, the next time you find yourself in a conversation with someone, ask yourself what question you can ask that will allow them to respond as the hero of their own stories. What obstacles did they have to overcome? Was it challenging? How did they do it? Not only will you cause them to feel more valued but you will be building a relationship where your influence will matter more in their lives.

Can you imagine how much more effective you would be as a Christian, boss, co-worker, parent, spouse, etc if the people around you felt more loved and more encouraged when you are around?    

Written By: Jonathan N, April 11, 2016

To ensure you don't miss future posts, subscribe by entering your email address into the block labeled "follow by email" on the top right hand side of this page.    

Image courtesy of photostock at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
       

No comments:

Post a Comment